!!! Warning: dream2nix is unstable software. While simple UX is one of our main focus points, the APIs are still under development. Do expect changes that will break your setup.
dream2nix is a framework for automatically converting packages from other build systems to nix.
dream2nix focuses on the following aspects:
- Nixpkgs Compatibility, by not enforcing IFD (import from derivation)
- Code de-duplication across 2nix converters
- Code de-duplication in nixpkgs
- Risk-free opt-in aggregated fetching (larger FODs, less checksums)
- Common UI across 2nix converters
- Reduce effort to develop new 2nix solutions
- Exploration and adoption of new nix features
- Simplified updating of packages
The goal of this project is to create a standardized, generic, modular framework for automated packaging solutions, aiming for better flexibility, maintainability and usability.
The intention is to integrate many existing 2nix converters into this framework, thereby improving many of the previously named aspects and providing a unified UX for all 2nix solutions.